Fan Tabs - USBC Vol. II

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Fan Tabs - USBC Vol. II

Post by OhioCanGuy »

So the book clearly identifies zip top cans. But apparently not fan tabs? Nor U tabs for that matter. Unless I'm really missing something.

I sometimes come across cans that I'd like to cross check to be sure the can in question was actually produced with a given lid.

Is there a more complete online source available?

Thanks,

Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
JAL
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Fan Tabs - USBC Vol. II

Post by JAL »

USBC II does not segregate the various PT or pull tabs, but groups them together. I've never seen any other documents or online source.

Best advice I can offer; in the front of the USBC II are pictures of various tops and canning companies, study those, and importantly, the more common cans in your collection (very slim chance they were re-lidded). Look for the style of lid, the seam construction, and different can logos.

What I always do with a can in question, check seam for (1) canning company logo (2) seam construction (ex. notched, soldered, soldered with notches, etc). From this I know the canning company, and an approximate time period based on seam construction. Second, look at the top lid, and determine if this style was unique to one canning company, or maybe a style used by more than one. Third, determine if the lid is realistic for the seam style and canning company for the can in question.

I think a lot of this is picked up from experience, the genuine interest, and not wanting to be ripped off on high dollar re-lids.

JAL
canhawk
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 879
BCCA Number: 32975
eBay name: jeffd1637
Year Started Collecting: 1974
United States of America

Re: Fan Tabs - USBC Vol. II

Post by canhawk »

I have found that book cans that have both a Z and T listed for a label often have versions in the early tab types. An early pull tab like the slot or U tab should probably not be paired with a bottom that is the gray tin-free steel. This, plus the body styles JAL mentions, is still not a foolproof way to avoid a re-lidded can but increases your odds.
Jeff Dankert, Peru, IL
12 oz Midwest beer cans (Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”