removing lids

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

foreigncanman
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 27960
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Canada

removing lids

Post by foreigncanman »

I have not been able to find any information on removing lids without damaging them. I've seen several postsa with no reply. It doesn't matter what happens to the donor cans. Tom Hoffman

mountainrust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 820
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Ireland

Re: removing lids

Post by mountainrust »

I carefully pry the lid off with a pair of channel-locks. It takes ALOT of practice to do it proficiently and without damaging the donor lid. I'd recommend using 70's cans to practice on. :smile:
crowntainer
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 933
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: frommydoortoyours
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by crowntainer »

It seems those that have mastered the technique are keeping this a secret. You can find all the information in the world on how to say, do body and paint repairs on a car, but most people will still defer to a professional and the majority of the rest that try themselves end poorly. In my opinion, even if the technique to remove lids was fully shared this would have little impact on the can repair industry. A can needs to have a certain value or sentimental value to justify repair cost. Considering the equipment cost, engineering/building the tooling to un-seam the donor lid let alone the time mastering the ability and gaining the confidence to repair valuable cans yourself that otherwise would have been sent out to a pro is something few would accomplish. Even more unlikely that any grasshoppers would ever become the masters surpassing the best of today although any such challenge could only force further advances. Another perspective is maybe it remains secret for reasons of ethics, ie: swapping lids to increase value, etc. Maybe because there is no Patient for said customized equipment and maybe someone would steel/patient their idea and then sue them for using the techniques they developed. Other?
crowntainer
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 933
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: frommydoortoyours
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by crowntainer »

mountainrust wrote:I carefully pry the lid off with a pair of channel-locks. It takes ALOT of practice to do it proficiently and without damaging the donor lid. I'd recommend using 70's cans to practice on. :smile:
Do you put anything to support the inner edges of the lid while you are prying like a seaming chuck? Is this how the pro's are removing the lids? Maybe I am way over thinking this. Thanks for sharing!!
foreigncanman
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 27960
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Canada

Post by foreigncanman »

Sound like it is quite difficult. It would be nice to g4t lids for some wind tunnel cans so we don't slice fingers while looking at them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”