Canventory download. Looking to put it on an IPAD?????

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

thatsus02
BCCA Vice President
BCCA Vice President
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1050
BCCA Number: 32806
eBay name: thatsus02
Year Started Collecting: 1990
Zodiac:
United States of America

Canventory download. Looking to put it on an IPAD?????

Post by thatsus02 »

I am sure this will draw many responses from all who have tried or wanted to use CANVENTORY or some beer can data base program on a tablet. I am computer illiterate so lets hear the choices I have. I am sure this has been hashed before but should get some good conversation going.

I tried to see if it would downlaod to an IPAD and test failed. I want to use something easy to document my collection and make it easily accessible at show instead of carrying books and folders around.

HELP please!!

President, Michigan Chapter of the BCCA / NABA
golf_lover44
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 34341
Year Started Collecting: 2013

Re: Canventory download. Looking to put it on an IPAD?????

Post by golf_lover44 »

Don't know about an iPad, but I have a Samsung tablet and have used this for the past 3 years. It's free, the support is only an online forum, but it works.

http://www.mementodatabase.com/
golf_lover44
BCCA #34341
Collector of current micro and craft brewery cans from Chicago and the USA
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 636
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Randy Karasek »

Pretty certain Canventory is a Windows only product.

My CanDB software (http://www.mbcinfo.com/CanDB) is a Java application and runs on either Windows or MacOS, but MacOS on desktop/laptops. An IPad is not running a traditional operating system, and long ago Steve Jobs mandated that the IPad will never run Java. It would be too much of a coding effort for me to have CanDB implementation for an IPad of which I will never use.

I use a Windows Surface RT Pro (tablet) which also does NOT run a real Windows operating system (no Java support). However, I just drag/drop CanDB project to my tablet and can at least view all details about my collection anywhere. I still like fact that master information, all images/data is on my desktop (fully backed up) and my tablet is just a read only copy.

You are welcome to call/email/PM me if you want to discuss.
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

It does NOT work with Apple products as Randy noted above. I emailed the creator last year to see if there was any plans to convert it and he said NO.

I bought a laptop computer that the screen detaches from the keyboard to use as a tablet. Works great. My wife uses the laptop as her computer except when we go to shows and I detach the screen and have my Canventory in each room as I'm shopping. It ha cut down A LOT on the double purchases and bring home cans you THINK are upgrades but are not. It is easy to UPDATE my Canventory database from the desk top to the laptop because I just back it up from my desktop onto a flash drive and then restore it to the laptop using the USB flash drive port. If I had bought a tablet, there are no ports to plug a flash drive into to load it. There is still probably a way to do it but I am not overly techno savvy.
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”