Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Food In Portland

Post by mtracy64 »

With legalized Marijuana, Oregon must have abundant food choices . . .

jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jinsequa »

The brownies rock.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pokey
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 30985
eBay name: pokey-reames
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pokey »

Dixie Dave wrote: I'm looking at the island where the hotel is on Google and there appear to be a few local eateries in the area. Nothing good? I'm looking for easy stuff- a local diner for breakfast, burgers one night... Looks like there is a Safeway nearby and some local eateries a little further out. Is this area walkable, or is it like walking around there is very difficult? Like I loved Milwaukee because you could just get out and wander around and there was all kinds of interesting things to see

that does lead to one really good question- just what is Portland known for, food-wise? I mean, like New Orleans is known for seafood, Houston or Dallas are good for barbecue or Tex-Mex, Cincinnati has their version of chili, Maryland does crab cakes, Chicago has deep dish pizza. I have heard of Portland as a good restaurant city- what do I want to make sure I eat there?

And yes, I'm giving serious consideration right now to coming to Portland. Buddy of mine and his wife were just out there a few months ago, they're both telling me I've got to go there- like they both really liked it. Looking like I'm coming if I can work out the flight schedule.

Portland does not have a singular signature food item. The Food Cart scene has been huge here, although it is catching on elsewhere, so it is no longer unique to Portland. Portland gets its food reputation from the many high caliber chefs that are here. They have come from all over the world and make Portland their home. So the food is varied. Seafood is a no-brainer, due to the proximity of the Pacific Ocean. Dungeness Crab is a favorite of mine, but Salmon, Steelhead and Kokanee are all good and fresh here too.

Hayden Island has plenty of restaurants to get the basic American fare of burgers or pizza, so you won't starve if you don't leave the island. However, if you want to experience Portland, the food carts are still the best place to start. You will need to go downtown to get to them.

I mentioned this on an earlier post... There is a fun little floating restaurant in among the boats and house boats on the Island that is only open in the summer called the Island Cafe. The food is basic American fare, leaning on deep fried seafood as a staple. http://islandcafepdx.com/#home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire.
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Pokey wrote:
Dixie Dave wrote: I'm looking at the island where the hotel is on Google and there appear to be a few local eateries in the area. Nothing good? I'm looking for easy stuff- a local diner for breakfast, burgers one night... Looks like there is a Safeway nearby and some local eateries a little further out. Is this area walkable, or is it like walking around there is very difficult? Like I loved Milwaukee because you could just get out and wander around and there was all kinds of interesting things to see

that does lead to one really good question- just what is Portland known for, food-wise? I mean, like New Orleans is known for seafood, Houston or Dallas are good for barbecue or Tex-Mex, Cincinnati has their version of chili, Maryland does crab cakes, Chicago has deep dish pizza. I have heard of Portland as a good restaurant city- what do I want to make sure I eat there?

And yes, I'm giving serious consideration right now to coming to Portland. Buddy of mine and his wife were just out there a few months ago, they're both telling me I've got to go there- like they both really liked it. Looking like I'm coming if I can work out the flight schedule.

Portland does not have a singular signature food item. The Food Cart scene has been huge here, although it is catching on elsewhere, so it is no longer unique to Portland. Portland gets its food reputation from the many high caliber chefs that are here. They have come from all over the world and make Portland their home. So the food is varied. Seafood is a no-brainer, due to the proximity of the Pacific Ocean. Dungeness Crab is a favorite of mine, but Salmon, Steelhead and Kokanee are all good and fresh here too.

Hayden Island has plenty of restaurants to get the basic American fare of burgers or pizza, so you won't starve if you don't leave the island. However, if you want to experience Portland, the food carts are still the best place to start. You will need to go downtown to get to them

I mentioned this on an earlier post... There is a fun little floating restaurant in among the boats and house boats on the Island that is only open in the summer called the Island Cafe. The food is basic American fare, leaning on deep fried seafood as a staple. http://islandcafepdx.com/#home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for your prompt response!

I would hope Portland would have good seafood of some kind given the proximity of the Pacific. Will definitely want to check that out to see how y'all cook your fish. Would appreciate any recommendation of "where the locals go" for the good stuff, hoping to avoid the pricey stuff. I definitely want to find my way downtown to do the tourist thing, so I'll hopefully find a good food truck or two. We have them here, and those guys are great for some interesting variety of offerings. If I do stay on the island for food, I'm looking for something local. I prefer to support the little guy when I can. Last thing I want is the same fast food I can easily get here. As someone from a city with great food, I'm always interested in checking out another city with a reputation for great food.
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
Pokey
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pokey »

A couple of my favorite sandwich shops are Lardo (3 locations) and Bunk Sandwiches (6 locations). For a really good burger, I like Killer Burger (6 locations) - it is hard to beat their signature PEANUT-BUTTER-PICKLE-BACON BURGER; Bacon, PB Sauce, Smokey House Sauce, Mayo, Grilled Onion, & Pickle - don't knock it until you've tried it. SE Portland has Pok-Pok, which has a very unique and eclectic menu. NE Portland has The Station and my favorite pork ribs at Podnah's.

All of these places have websites.
roy
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 123
BCCA Number: 15598
United States of America

Post by roy »

Pokey Mr. Field has informed me about a great place close to where he lives - almost no gringos go there so it sounds really good. Mr. Smoller and myself will pass on the Peter Pan chunky peanut butter burgers. Now an anchovy burger that could be interesting! roy
Pokey
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pokey »

roy wrote:Pokey Mr. Field has informed me about a great place close to where he lives - almost no gringos go there so it sounds really good. Mr. Smoller and myself will pass on the Peter Pan chunky peanut butter burgers. Now an anchovy burger that could be interesting! roy
¡Ay, caramba! I need to know what restaurant he is hiding from me!

However, if they serve anchovies in their tacos, count me out.
roy
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 123
BCCA Number: 15598
United States of America

Post by roy »

Pokey you have to ask Mr. Field about where the place is - no I am not planning on anchovy tacos BUT since that burger place of yours puts Peter Pan chunky on their burgers - why not anchovies??? roy
Pokey
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Pokey »

Anchovies are bait! Legumes are good for you.
jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jinsequa »

Put out today by the local paper "The Oregonian"...If you can't find anything on that list well then....
Eric
http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index. ... aj-story-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by keithker »

Casual, smoked meat and beer sounds great.....

http://www.yelp.com/biz/peoples-pig-portland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok then you have to ask yourself....where else would they serve a Bloody Mary with a rib stuck in it.....
o.jpg
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “CANvention 46 Info and Stuff”