Lower-alcohol content is trending

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

golf_lover44
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 34341
Year Started Collecting: 2013

Lower-alcohol content is trending

Post by golf_lover44 »

By Ronnie Crocker
April 18, 2016 Updated: April 19, 2016 11:49am

The venerable Pilsner is having a craft-beer moment.

Earlier this year, Karbach Brewing's January-to-March seasonal Zee Pils proved so popular that the Houston brewery had to move up the release of its next-in-line Staycation because the Zee was running out. In Conroe, B-52 Brewing makes a tasty Payload Pils and Southern Star has a Spring Pils on store shelves into next month.

And just last week, Saint Arnold came out with a fine addition to its year-round lineup called 5 O'Clock Pils.

This is welcome news for craft-beer drinkers seeking lower-alcohol brews that still have the full flavor and hop bite they crave and can't find in mainstream American fare. Though these and other so-called sessionable beers remain a tiny fragment of the craft market, they are rapidly growing in popularity.

Sales data from IRI, passed along to me by the Brewers Association trade group, show that last year Pilsners made up just 1.3 percent of the craft market by volume (at least at supermarkets, liquor stores and other outlets that scan packaged products), but they grew by a whopping 120 percent. Similarly, the blond/Kölsch/golden ale category represented 1.4 percent of volume but grew by 61 percent.

Even the high-octane India pale ale, which has driven so much of craft beer's growth over the years, reflects the evolving appetites. IPAs command the largest craft-market share, 25.3 percent of volume last year, while still growing by 41 percent. But, again, the fastest-growing sliver of that is the lower-alcohol session IPA, said Bart Watson, Brewers Association chief economist.

Watson cited a couple of reasons, including the expanding base of craft drinkers and the maturing habits of craft beer's early adopters. This generation - my generation - knows how much fun it is to try wild and crazy brews with incredible new flavors and stratospherically high alcohol-by-volume levels.

But we also know how that can feel the morning after.

"I'm reaching for more sessionable options myself more often than I may have a few years ago," Watson said.

He also pointed out that some of craft brewing's early hits, including Samuel Adams' Boston Lager, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Pete's Wicked Ale, packed a relatively light punch compared to the IPAs and barrel-aged this-or-thats that generate so much attention and have made craft beer such a compelling product.

Traditional European brewers have understood the appeal of sessionable beers for centuries, and today's mainstream giants didn't build their fortunes with 12 percent barleywines.

I say that with no disrespect toward barleywines. I love them and hope craft brewers make many, many more. But oftentimes you just want to hang out with your friends and throw back a few beers.

Brock Wagner, the Saint Arnold founder who has been part of Houston's craft-beer community for 22 years, developed a deeper appreciation for the Pilsner style while drinking unfiltered, unpasteurized Pilsner Urquell during annual hop-buying trips to the Czech Republic.

He now has released 5 O'Clock Pils, a tasty 5.2 percent ABV beer with a robust bounty of Czech Saaz hops that gives it a 40 rating for International Bitterness Units, the industry measurement for hops impact. By comparison, Saint Arnold Summer Pils (now on sale for the season, as it has been each year since 1997) measures 22 IBUs.

The new 5 O'Clock Pils debuted in November 2013 as part of Saint Arnold's rotating Icon series.

"I could drink this beer every day," Wagner said.

So could I. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure it's 5 o'clock somewhere.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/enterta ... 255984.php

golf_lover44
BCCA #34341
Collector of current micro and craft brewery cans from Chicago and the USA
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Lower-alcohol content is trending

Post by Dixie Dave »

I was at a panel discussion sponsored by Brooklyn Brewing at NOLA last year. The panel was comprised of the head guys from Brooklyn, NOLA, Abita, and Parish (a growing brewery from Bayou Country). The topic of discussion was how the craft brewers could sustain their high growth rate and even increase their percentage of the market. The general consensus was that while many people love a good IPA or a pumpkin peach porter, there are a lot more people who are not that adventurous in their beer tastes. It was agreed that the craft brewers would need to start brewing more accessible beers like pilsners and lagers to break through to a much larger segment of the beer market. I've been noticing more of this happening- more sessionable beers coming out from the brewers in my area. I think this is a great idea. Brewing more accessible styles that are closer to what the average beer drinker believes a beer is supposed to be is how to reach more of these people and show them what a good beer really is.
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
Chris E.
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 151
BCCA Number: 26223
eBay name: moquarts18
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Chris E. »

Dixie Dave wrote:I was at a panel discussion sponsored by Brooklyn Brewing at NOLA last year. The panel was comprised of the head guys from Brooklyn, NOLA, Abita, and Parish (a growing brewery from Bayou Country). The topic of discussion was how the craft brewers could sustain their high growth rate and even increase their percentage of the market. The general consensus was that while many people love a good IPA or a pumpkin peach porter, there are a lot more people who are not that adventurous in their beer tastes. It was agreed that the craft brewers would need to start brewing more accessible beers like pilsners and lagers to break through to a much larger segment of the beer market. I've been noticing more of this happening- more sessionable beers coming out from the brewers in my area. I think this is a great idea. Brewing more accessible styles that are closer to what the average beer drinker believes a beer is supposed to be is how to reach more of these people and show them what a good beer really is.
I agree completely. Much of the overly hopped or high alcohol beers are just too over the top for a good kickback at the brewpub. If I am planning on having more than one (which is most of the time), give me a Pilsner, Kolsch, Dunkel or a Golden Lager. With those, I know when to quit and get home in one piece.

Chris E.
Dixie Dave
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 356
BCCA Number: 21234
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Dixie Dave »

Chris E. wrote:
Dixie Dave wrote:I was at a panel discussion sponsored by Brooklyn Brewing at NOLA last year. The panel was comprised of the head guys from Brooklyn, NOLA, Abita, and Parish (a growing brewery from Bayou Country). The topic of discussion was how the craft brewers could sustain their high growth rate and even increase their percentage of the market. The general consensus was that while many people love a good IPA or a pumpkin peach porter, there are a lot more people who are not that adventurous in their beer tastes. It was agreed that the craft brewers would need to start brewing more accessible beers like pilsners and lagers to break through to a much larger segment of the beer market. I've been noticing more of this happening- more sessionable beers coming out from the brewers in my area. I think this is a great idea. Brewing more accessible styles that are closer to what the average beer drinker believes a beer is supposed to be is how to reach more of these people and show them what a good beer really is.
I agree completely. Much of the overly hopped or high alcohol beers are just too over the top for a good kickback at the brewpub. If I am planning on having more than one (which is most of the time), give me a Pilsner, Kolsch, Dunkel or a Golden Lager. With those, I know when to quit and get home in one piece.

Chris E.
That is why I love a good session IPA. Those are usually nice and hoppy but not too strong.
Collector of fine rust, craft cans, and anything related to New Orleans area breweries past and present.
jinsequa
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1037
BCCA Number: 34154
eBay name: Jinsequa
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by jinsequa »

Yep....Olympia thought the low alcohol beers was a great idea once and the idea bankrupted them. Seems like micro drinkers are looking for beer that isnt a low alcohol (tasteless due to a lack of malt) beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Candog
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 222
BCCA Number: 24666
eBay name: Tcandog
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Candog »

I've rediscovered some new Pils and Pilsners in my local market and have actually tried quite a few. They are great starters beers to build you up to get to that 11% IPA. One of the best I have had is from Victory Brewing in Downington PA. Their Pils is outstanding.

That doesn't mean I don't have a couple 6 packs of Black IPA in my fridge though.
CANDOG

WANTED: I'm looking for the following Cone Tops: Gunther Ale, Carnegie HP, Travis LP, Dime J, Wacker J, Kuebler Bock J
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”