Cleaning OD cans........... Any experience?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Cleaning OD cans........... Any experience?

Post by Sea Monkey »

Has anyone tried cleaning OD cans? Do they hold up well? There doesn't seem like there would be anything to fade. Any tips to not screw then up? Do these look like they will clean? The guy said they haven't been cleaned yet. Any advice would be appreciated........... :smt023
Attachments
1.jpg

Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
iggyks
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1064
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Cleaning OD cans........... Any experience?

Post by iggyks »

I cleaned a mystery cone which turned out to be an OD Duquesne... in genral i thought it did clean up better than the usual can around here esp. considering it was 40s, but at the end i lost a little of the logo :sad: My only thought is to pick the one you care least about and clean it first, don't do all four at once. For cans I know or suspect are something i want to be careful with, I have a clear-sided hard plastic container with lid where I can monitor it closely instead of pulling it out to check it every fifteen minutes or whatever.
I'm constantly finding good cans... in my mailbox. *** My third year of waging Schlitzkrieg on the Flint Hills of Kansas ***
Paul Letostak
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 557
BCCA Number: 30997
eBay name: paulcan
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
Slovakia

Post by Paul Letostak »

Scott, I am a citric acid guy. That being said use oxalic, and you want a weak cool mixture. Clear container, 1 at a time. Don't get impatient if it takes a while, like a day.

Paul
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Post by Leon »

I bought some uncleaned OD's (a 6 pak) very similar to yours condition but actually worse. Was convinced to pay the BIG bucks with promise they would clean up nice, Like playing Russian Roulette I took a chance & unfortunately they did not clean up much at all & I don't think I could evan get half of what I paid for them even after I cleaned them. Lesson learned. Don't fall for it. LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
plogan42
Cone Top
Cone Top

Post by plogan42 »

Scott,

What Paul has written is 100% correct.

I tend to use the 32oz clear plastic containers (originally came w. cashew nuts in it, minus label) with plastic screw-on lid for cleaning cans that are more rare.

Use room temperature water, and about 1/4 cup of acid for something that size. Let the acid fully dissolve before inserting can.

When you use a small container, you have to change the water as the dissolved iron will saturate the available water, and this occurs when it starts looking like "a darker shade of Gatorade". At that point, the old solution needs to be dumped, and new, fresh water / acid added. Otherwise, the reaction stops and continued exposure doesn't do any good. I tend to do this at the 12-16 hr. mark.

Another trick I do is to periodically scrub the can lightly with a toothbrush while it's in solution. About every 4-6 hrs. This cuts down the layers of rust, progressively, exposing each layer to the solution, vs. forcing the acid solution work thru the oxide film before it makes contact w. fresh rust.

After the soak is complete, clean the can (toothbrush and soap), and ALWAYS then neutralize the can w. a solution of baking soda and room temp. water. About 1/4 cup of baking soda and 32oz water, soaked for about 10 min. should do the trick. On a heavily rusted can, one of thoese that's still 'a bit ferrous' (in spots) after an oxalic bath, this neutralizes the absorbed acid in those rusted spots. Otherwise, the acid will continue to eat away the can as it sits on the shelf. Dry can w. small desktop fan for about 24 hrs. afterward.

Good luck.

Pat
Jim Romine
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 185
BCCA Number: 19904
eBay name: mojonitro
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Jim Romine »

My experience cleaning Schaeffer and Rheingold ODs says much the same - no high temps, just warm water. Frequent scrubbing, with minimal force. The black paint tended to flake a bit, but the OD was bulletproof. Hurry up, not much time before the show!
Always looking for Bock Beer Cans - 1 or 100, mint or dumper.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”