Buying/Selling vs. Trading

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Buying/Selling vs. Trading

Post by OhioCanGuy »

If I remember correctly, back in the day, the BCCA only allowed trading at it's events and such. No buying/selling for cash. Obviously things have changed.

So the question is: If you attend a show and sell about the same $$ worth as you buy, are you really just trading in a round about way? The almighty dollar may be in the middle, but essentially you are exchanging cans for cans. Right?

Of the two shows I've attended this year, I think I'm about even. Not counting hotel, gas, food, beer, etc. And of course not counting what I may have in the cans that are getting sold.

This is what I keep telling my wife, the hobby is basically free. Then again, she has never been very good at math. :smile:

Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
CVforMe
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Answers: 1
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1900
United States of America

Re: Buying/Selling vs. Trading

Post by CVforMe »

Some dealers made out real good in the early days "trading" currents for cones and OIs us kids found.
===U.S.A.=== Pre-WWII outdoor beer signs ===U.S.A.===
===U.S.A.===. 1930-1950s ball tap knobs. ===U.S.A.===
crowntainer
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 933
BCCA Number: 0
eBay name: frommydoortoyours
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by crowntainer »

If you sold cans here on the Rusty Bunch Advertise or Auction House and then bought cans from one of our sponsors with that money, would that essentially be trading as well? Or sell on ebay and use the money received in PayPal to buy something else on the same venue. You would of course miss out on the show and in person experience. Guess it depends on your perspective.
thatsus02
BCCA Vice President
BCCA Vice President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1050
BCCA Number: 32806
eBay name: thatsus02
Year Started Collecting: 1990
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by thatsus02 »

buying from one and selling to another is kind of like the three team trade in major leagues sports. sometime when you buy but dont sell its like the player to be named later trade. LOL
President, Michigan Chapter of the BCCA / NABA
bigcitydave
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 869
BCCA Number: 8920
eBay name: bigcitydave
Year Started Collecting: 1973
United States of America

Post by bigcitydave »

At some point in this hobby you are going to run across a can that you really need, but have no cans to trade. What do you do? Buy it, pass on it, or wait till you have a can to trade (that assumes he wants the can you have and the can you want is still available). The days of the average collecor finding collections to buy are gone and having totes of good cans to trade also gone. The early days of trading were mainly amoung kids with current cans and not alot of big dollars. Remember, it was fun. You can't trade on E-bay and many collectors can't travel to shows or afford the gas, lodging, etc, Therefore, the dollar is easier and I like to think it all evens out in the end. Without it, our collections would stagnate.
sgramling
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1038
BCCA Number: 15286
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:

Post by sgramling »

Don't all established collecting hobbies have purchase as a staple method of aquisition? Cars, Coins, Stamps, etc... aren't they all driven by cash?
In our hobby, we can dig some awesome collection pieces out of the ground or out of a demolished building - it's a great equalizer that allows anyone who has enough motivation to get out there and acquire something exciting without commiting a huge bankroll.
But then the bankrolls reward the motivated and continue to fund their endeavours. I think we are stronger with the existence of both.
Canadacan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1078
Year Started Collecting: 1987
Zodiac:
Canada

Post by Canadacan »

Some one mentioned a while back about selling the finds that he dumped and in some cases keeping them, but it never covered the cost of the trip, it was money well spent on a good time with good friends!
The few trades I've made I think worked out even. And yes the money I make on ebay selling a few items here and there end up going on cans I need.
Ivan... RB #1078 Collector of soda cans & bottles from Canada. Looking for Canadian soada cans 12oz & 10oz From the 1950s right into the 80s.
Also Canadian Beers ,USA Orange Crush bottles And American Drewrys beer cans.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”