New Acquisition Wednesday

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 643
BCCA Number: 29171
Year Started Collecting: 1975
United States of America

Re: New Acquisition Wednesday

Post by Leon »

Here's a couple of new Bottles from Grand Rapids. I figure Pinnacle Project Bryan might like these. Tough Furniture City 6 oz. with Victor Paper Label from pre prohibition (pre 1919). LEON.

Double click pic to supersize.
Attachments
FurnitureCityVictorSplitsGrandRapids.png
FurnitureCityBackVictorLabel.JPG
FurnitureCityFront.JPG

FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
NOT SO FAVORITE SAYING: SOME CRAZY RICH CLOWN OUTBID ME
ANOTHER SAYING: LIGHTS ARE ON BUT NOBODY'S HOME?
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

mtracy64 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:47 pm It's time to focus on replacing the remainder of the J's I sold off a decade ago, even if a.couple of these are upgrades. I still need to replace Blatz, both Bruck's labels 3.2% - 7%, Pilsener Type by Frederick's, Topaz and Kuebler Ale (oval) with union label right of seam.

20190423_183630.jpg

Am I the only one seeing your Pic upside down? LEON.
FAVORITE SAYING: WHY DUMP LOCALLY & FIND PROGRESS O/I's WHEN I CAN DRIVE A THOUSAND MILES AND FIND NOTHING.
Conehead
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 109
BCCA Number: 17406
eBay name: Conehead4
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Conehead »

pinnacle-project wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:17 pm
Fox Deluxe quart cone top from Grand Rapids.

This can arrived in my mailbox today. It's not as nice as the one Beamer got at Cabin Fever earlier this year but I am still grateful to get it. It cost $45 net which was less than I anticipated. Either that means my valuation was wrong or proof that you should not have auctions end on a major holiday.
The fact that the title said it was Chicago may have helped keep it down also. You didn't even note that this is the unpictured 4% variation. Much tougher than the book can.

Jim
I shall leave no cone unturned!!
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 353
BCCA Number: 27810
eBay name: mtracy64
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Leon wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:26 pm
mtracy64 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:47 pm It's time to focus on replacing the remainder of the J's I sold off a decade ago, even if a.couple of these are upgrades. I still need to replace Blatz, both Bruck's labels 3.2% - 7%, Pilsener Type by Frederick's, Topaz and Kuebler Ale (oval) with union label right of seam.

20190423_183630.jpg

That's two in a row that posted upside down for me, after never having that problem before. I flipped it upside down and posted it again, and it still posted upside down. It does flip back if you click to supersize, though. Or, it does for me anyhow.

Marc
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

mtracy64 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:57 pm
Leon wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:26 pm

20190423_183630.jpg

That's two in a row that posted upside down for me, after never having that problem before. I flipped it upside down and posted it again, and it still posted upside down. It does flip back if you click to supersize, though. Or, it does for me anyhow.

Marc

I've heard other people say that if you click onto there upside down pic it will then flips it's self. BUT, That has never happened for me. I'll repost it. I also resized it down 50%. LEON.

Double click pic to supersize.
Attachments
MarcsJspouts2019.jpg
canman65
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 617
BCCA Number: 26989
eBay name: canman65
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by canman65 »

pinnacle-project wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:17 pm @Beamer

Fox Deluxe quart cone top from Grand Rapids.

This can arrived in my mailbox today. It's not as nice as the one Beamer got at Cabin Fever earlier this year but I am still grateful to get it. It cost $45 net which was less than I anticipated. Either that means my valuation was wrong or proof that you should not have auctions end on a major holiday.

Fox Deluxe GR Quart.jpg
Looking on holidays and other midweek auctions can be fun. Nice find!
pinnacle-project
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1111
eBay name: pinnacle-project
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by pinnacle-project »

It has been a good week for me. Today, I received this Silver Foam sample bottle from the Grand Rapids Brewing Company. It is a pre-pro bottle about five inches tall with the original cork, foil, and wire. Some of the beer has evaporated over the last hundred years.

GRBottle1.JPG
GRBottle1.JPG (41.71 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
GRBottle2.JPG
GRBottle2.JPG (27.84 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
Focus: Cones and flats from Michigan, South Bend, and Fort Wayne. Foreign cans only if I bought them myself in the country of origin.

2023 Shows Attended

* Michigan Chapter Winterfest, January 14, Frankenmuth Michigan
* Cabin Fever Reliever, February 24, Mishawaka Indiana
* Buckeye, March 11, Toledo Ohio
* SummerSwap, July 21 & 22, Frankenmuth Michigan
renokenn
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 838
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by renokenn »

I didn't even know such samples even existed. Neat
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

I got the same sample bottle but mines not full. I did pick up this Super Rare 1870's Grand Rapids bottle last Wednesday. LEON.
Attachments
McKittrickCloseup.JPG
McKittrickFrontCleaned.JPG
OhioCanGuy
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1157
BCCA Number: 10147
United States of America

Post by OhioCanGuy »

20190423_183630.jpg
Some beautiful cans Mark. I like them all, but of course, my eye is drawn the the three Noch-Eins. Stunning condition on each of those. Really awesome!

Speaking of the Pilsener Type by Frederick's... here's my shelfer.
Attachments
IMG_0644.JPG
Bob
----------------------------
Flats, cones & early tabs. Ohio cans, ultra clean cans & shine. East coast cans. Rare rust. And, whatever else catches my eye.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

OhioCanGuy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:45 am

20190423_183630.jpg
Some beautiful cans Mark. I like them all, but of course, my eye is drawn the the three Noch-Eins. Stunning condition on each of those. Really awesome!

Thanks, Bob. I'ver never heard solid numbers on the one substantial find of the Pilsener Type cans, but there were obviously more of the Illinois version than the Frederick's. Finding either one of them with good white all around is difficult.

The Noch-Eins and Royal Pilsener were two of the key cans that prevented me from getting completely out of cones in the late '90's, so they played a significant role in my decision to specialize in J's. I did not have either of the 3.2% to 7% Noch-Eins cans. I wanted the white one ongrade, but the silver one is tough enough that I would have taken in it grade 3. I grabbed the other white one as a big upgrade so I could have two clean pair. I've never seen the white 3.2% can in nice condition, and I've never seen the silver can with no alcohol statement.

The first Kamm's is the other upgrade. It's the Stark can and is one of only two all-original cans I know of. The Royal Pilsener is the Grenke can and (again) a particular favorite of mine.

I collect a weird menagerie of flats . . . Patent Pending and long opener cans by American Can Co., all pre-war flats by National, Crown and Continental, Bocks that are IRTP or OI, and a handful of other early cans I just like a lot (the Scotch Thistle Brand OI, Pilgrims, etc., mostly rare offgrade cans). The inclusion of the pre-war Continental flats is an excuse to collect Old Dutch and Old Milwaukee. The green and yellow Old Milwaukee is so common offgrade that I only wanted it ongrade, and it proved to be quite elusive that way. Clean schoolhouse cans are usually rolled, so I couldn't pass on the all-original (Phillips) can.

Between this and Spring Thaw, it's been an expensive month, so I'm going to be pretty quiet for a while now . . .

Marc
Ziphippie
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1970

Post by Ziphippie »

These probably still reside in the Wisconsin Dells Antique Mall, pics are about a year old. The minty one for $950 is Illinois brewing- the solid dumper on the left is Frederick’s. Ziphippie
C1D623D9-1423-4081-B67E-8C18D4D00CAD.jpeg
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

mtracy64 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:45 am
OhioCanGuy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:45 am

20190423_183630.jpg

Thanks, Bob. I'ver never heard solid numbers on the one substantial find of the Pilsener Type cans, but there were obviously more of the Illinois version than the Frederick's. Finding either one of them with good white all around is difficult.

The Noch-Eins and Royal Pilsener were two of the key cans that prevented me from getting completely out of cones in the late '90's, so they played a significant role in my decision to specialize in J's. I did not have either of the 3.2% to 7% Noch-Eins cans. I wanted the white one ongrade, but the silver one is tough enough that I would have taken in it grade 3. I grabbed the other white one as a big upgrade so I could have two clean pair. I've never seen the white 3.2% can in nice condition, and I've never seen the silver can with no alcohol statement.

The first Kamm's is the other upgrade. It's the Stark can and is one of only two all-original cans I know of. The Royal Pilsener is the Grenke can and (again) a particular favorite of mine.

I collect a weird menagerie of flats . . . Patent Pending and long opener cans by American Can Co., all pre-war flats by National, Crown and Continental, Bocks that are IRTP or OI, and a handful of other early cans I just like a lot (the Scotch Thistle Brand OI, Pilgrims, etc., mostly rare offgrade cans). The inclusion of the pre-war Continental flats is an excuse to collect Old Dutch and Old Milwaukee. The green and yellow Old Milwaukee is so common offgrade that I only wanted it ongrade, and it proved to be quite elusive that way. Clean schoolhouse cans are usually rolled, so I couldn't pass on the all-original (Phillips) can.

Between this and Spring Thaw, it's been an expensive month, so I'm going to be pretty quiet for a while now . . .

Marc

Your Old Milwaukee's Rock!.....Especially the School House Can!! :smt023
Collector of Wisconsin Cans.Looking for Pabst Bock Zip from Milwaukee.Milwaukee Valley,Rib Mountian and any Gettelman Picnic Series Cans in Grade 2/2- that held Beer.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Marc, Do you have the older tougher Old Milwaukee Waiter can. I know those can get real expensive & hard to find ongrade, even tough as dumpers. When you say first Kamms do you mean the Copywrite 1940 can. LEON.
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

hover31 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:52 am These probably still reside in the Wisconsin Dells Antique Mall, pics are about a year old. The minty one for $950 is Illinois brewing- the solid dumper on the left is Frederick’s. ZiphippieC1D623D9-1423-4081-B67E-8C18D4D00CAD.jpeg
I should have taken a drive out there when you first posted the photos, but it's at least ten hours from me and I was working stupid hours at the time. I will get the Pilsener by Frederick's ongrade eventually because I have a nice Frederick's, but I'd be more than happy to put a displayable dumper on the shelf in the interim. The six cans I listed above and the blue Hudepohl are all I need to complete the J-Spouts, so I'm not going to be picky on them except for the Topaz. And I'm not going to be all that picky on the Topaz - it's very scarce in high grade. The last real clean one I saw was $600 . . . in 1997.

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

mrlager428 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:16 pm Your Old Milwaukee's Rock!.....Especially the School House Can!! :smt023
Thanks! The Old Milwaukees are tremendous cans and I've been chasing them for a long time. I had the green and white IRTP can ongrade years ago, and of all the great cans I've sold over the years, that is the one I have seller's remorse over. Even more so now that I have other clean ones.

Marc
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Leon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:34 pm Marc, Do you have the older tougher Old Milwaukee Waiter can. I know those can get real expensive & hard to find ongrade, even tough as dumpers. When you say first Kamms do you mean the Copywrite 1940 can. LEON.
Leon, here's the rest of my Old Milwaukees. The waiter came from Gene's collection in his 2015 sale.

Marc
20190427_152215-1.jpg
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

mtracy64 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:31 pm
mrlager428 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:16 pm Your Old Milwaukee's Rock!.....Especially the School House Can!! :smt023
Thanks! The Old Milwaukees are tremendous cans and I've been chasing them for a long time. I had the green and white IRTP can ongrade years ago, and of all the great cans I've sold over the years, that is the one I have seller's remorse over. Even more so now that I have other clean ones.

Marc

Your Welcome! :smt023 .......Yea the Early Old Milwaukee's are Awesome Cans!....I have never seen a Green and White Example!....It's another Wisconsin Can I would love to find!
Collector of Wisconsin Cans.Looking for Pabst Bock Zip from Milwaukee.Milwaukee Valley,Rib Mountian and any Gettelman Picnic Series Cans in Grade 2/2- that held Beer.
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

mtracy64 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:33 pm
Leon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:34 pm Marc, Do you have the older tougher Old Milwaukee Waiter can. I know those can get real expensive & hard to find ongrade, even tough as dumpers. When you say first Kamms do you mean the Copywrite 1940 can. LEON.
Leon, here's the rest of my Old Milwaukees. The waiter came from Gene's collection in his 2015 sale.

Marc

20190427_152215-1.jpg

Those are Awesome!! :smt023 :shock:
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

mtracy64 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Marc

20190427_152215-1.jpg

It looks like the Waiter & School house on left would clean up with a light acid bath. I think you bought that white label on right from Me. I think Mrlager428 Mike bought his white label Old Milwaukee from me also? LEON.
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

mrlager428 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:59 pm

Marc

Your Welcome! :smt023 .......Yea the Early Old Milwaukee's are Awesome Cans!....I have never seen a Green and White Example!....It's another Wisconsin Can I would love to find!
Didn't you buy a green with white label Old Milwaukee from me before? or was that someone else? LEON.
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

Leon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Marc

Didn't you buy a green with white label Old Milwaukee from me before? or was that someone else? LEON.

Leon.....I did I got 107-23 from You....I thought Marc was talking about 107-25....I see He has 107-23 Pictured with the other Awesome Old Milwaukee's!!
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

Leon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Marc

Leon.....I did I got 107-23 from You....I thought Marc was talking about 107-25....I see He has 107-23 Pictured with the other Awesome Old Milwaukee's!!......Here's the Can I got from You! :smt023
Attachments
20190427_174957.jpg
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

I know at one time Marc did have a real nice about mint 107-23. I assumed thats the one he's refering to & he did say it was IRTP, I don't think 107-25 is. I don't think I ever seen the 107-25 either. I know I had the tougher 107-27 in my totes for years & cheap & nice but couldn't give it away. nobody looked at it or wanted it. Until one day a few years ago a guy named Keith from Florida was at the Frankenmuth Summerswap Show & was ecstatic & very happy to throw my $35 asking price at me. even offered me more but I refused. LEON.
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

Leon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:27 pm I know at one time Marc did have a real nice about mint 107-23. I assumed thats the one he's refering to & he did say it was IRTP, I don't think 107-25 is. I don't think I ever seen the 107-25 either. I know I had the tougher 107-27 in my totes for years & cheap & nice but couldn't give it away. nobody looked at it or wanted it. Until one day a few years ago a guy named Keith from Florida was at the Frankenmuth Summerswap Show & was ecstatic & very happy to throw my $35 asking price at me. even offered me more but I refused. LEON.

Your right Leon I thought without looking 107-25 isn't IRTP!....I assumed it was.....
Still I have never seen a 107-25 other than the one in the Book.I think that is a Cool looking Can!.....107-27 I never noticed the difference before now!...Thanks for pointing that one out!
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

I noticed Marc's and My School House Cans are different....Is one tougher than the other?....Just a slight difference!
Leon
Supreme Rusty Being
Supreme Rusty Being
United States of America

Post by Leon »

Now you gotta nother one to look for. 107-27. From what Keith tells me he was looking for that can for years before he accidently stumbled upon mine. I think Chris T. Told me the same thing & seemed to kick himself for not noticing mine in my totes all those years he walked by them. I got lots of rare variations nobody looks at. Probably why Marc pictured 2 different school house cans, they are slightly different but which one is tougher I have no idea? LEON.
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

Ah Now I see He has both of the School House Cans!....Good Eye Leon! :smt023
mrlager428
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mrlager428 »

Leon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:23 pm Now you gotta nother one to look for. 107-27. From what Keith tells me he was looking for that can for years before he accidently stumbled upon mine. I think Chris T. Told me the same thing & seemed to kick himself for not noticing mine in my totes all those years he walked by them. I got lots of rare variations nobody looks at. Probably why Marc pictured 2 different school house cans, they are slightly different but which one is tougher I have no idea? LEON.

Yeah another Can to look for!....I love it!
mtracy64
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by mtracy64 »

Leon, Mike,

First, I missed Leon's question on the Kamm's. I assume the version without the copyright was first, but one can't be sure about these things. Either way, that one is "first" in my photo and is the tougher can by far.

As Leon noted, I have both versions of the schoolhouse Old Milwaukee. The "long mandatory" can, with "Brewed And Packaged By" and with "Company" instead of "Co." is harder to find in dumper condition. Poking around dealer sites tonight and looking at sold cans suggests that it is tougher indoor also.

Yes, I was referring to 107-23 when I wrote of a green and white can. It is very scarce ongrade. I believe it was issued after 107-24 and was a short-lived can due to the war. I remember Dave Lewandowski calling me and telling me that he had just picked up a Schlitz propeller can that was painted over a Pabst full-length opener can. That made no sense at all, so I went over and looked at it and it was actually painted over a 107-23 Old Milwaukee.

The only non-IRTP cans I collect are pre-IRTP and Bock OI's, not that I have any of the latter yet, so I don't have to worry about 107-25, LOL. I've been told that it is unique, though.

I made an interesting discovery perusing sold cans on eBay tonight. The can shown below is a paper label can that looks very much like 107-23, but it's dated 1958 and lists "Old Milwaukee Brewing Company.". This was in a group of four Old Milwaukee cans listed as a Buy It Now at $100. The buyer, apparently crazy, took the time to submit a $75 best offer and wait for a response rather than jumping on it at $100.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (23.16 KiB) Viewed 4495 times

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Milwaukee- ... 7675.l2557
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (23.16 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”