Flat Sets List Update

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

MI-Cans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1128
United States of America

Flat Sets List Update

Post by MI-Cans »

Since my article in the recent RUSTlings issue, I’ve gotten some emails pointing out several possible Flat Top set cans I neglected to include in my chart.

First, Dick Adamowicz told me about the Waldorf Red Band beer cans. There are five for sure, possibly a sixth which he hasn’t been able to substantiate. Each of the five, known as slogan cans, have different sayings on the top lid. They are:

• Brewed right to your taste from the choicest grains and hops and leisurely aged to assure mellow maturity.
• Brewed with expert skill from the choicest grains and hops. Available also in bottles and on tap at the better places.
• Every resource of the art of quality brewing is focused on giving you in Waldorf beer “brewed right to your taste.”
• For the keenest enjoyment of this fine all grain beer serve it cold but not ice cold, in well-rinsed glasses.
• Waldorf beer is the result of years of experience in quality brewing. It is brewed right for good taste.

Secondly, Dick pointed out the Weidemann cans. There are 10 different slogans on the bottom of these cans. They are:

• Best When You're Beer Hungry...It's Registered! – Kegkined
• Best When You're Beer Hungry...It's Registered! - Not Keglined and larger text
• Live Flavor In The Bubbles...Live Flavor In The Bubbles...Live Flavor In The Bubbles
• Same Magnificent Flavor....Time...After Time...After Time
• It's Honest-To-Goodness Beer
• Fresh From The Barrel Taste Every Time
• Hops Fountain Process Gives You Live Flavor
• Favorite Beer Of The Friendly Folks In Weidemann Land
• Goes Every Good Beer One Better...It's Registered
• America's Only Registered Beer! (Flat - but also as Tab with contents on front of can)

I mentioned to Dick that two Paul Bunyan cans had different slogans at the bottom. He agreed and his keen eye also picked out the difference in the coloring of the mountains at the bottom left of the can face. He went on to say that I left off one brand that is highly collectible in our area (MI) and that is Drewrys. (I had it on the list, but failed to include it in the chart.)

I also heard from Chris Taylor that another set could be the Propeller "Beer" military cans in flats and cones. He has an OD, dull gray and a semi metallic green and silver versions all by Schlitz Brewing. It’s a nice looking set when placed next to each other. It turns out that the Oct/Nov issue of Beer Cans & Brewery Collectibles has an article by Chris on these exact cans. He always does a super job on his articles.

If anyone’s interested, here’s my updated list of Flat Sets:
Flat Set Count.xlsx
(16.06 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Edski

eric
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Answers: 0

Re: Flat Sets List Update

Post by eric »

I don't think Paul Bunyan qualifies as a set. If you include those you would have to include hundreds of other 2-can "sets" where the only difference is a slogan. And as nice as they are, I wouldn't consider the propeller cans as a set either.

As far as additions, the Ballantine cans come to mind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”