"Old Missouri Brewery Sales" mandatory on Old Missouri Quart

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

ronsmall
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 697
BCCA Number: 19284
eBay name: lutherpin
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:

"Old Missouri Brewery Sales" mandatory on Old Missouri Quart

Post by ronsmall »

Old Missouri Brewery Sales is listed in the mandatory for the Old Missouri quart, USBC 216-03. Which brewery was it really, Prima-Bismarck?

Is Old Missouri Brewery Sales listed in the mandatory of any other can? What's the story behind it?

ronsmall
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Re: "Old Missouri Brewery Sales"

Post by ronsmall »

Wow I thought I'd get a response...just crickets...
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

I wish I had an Old Missouri quart to look at for comparison sake. Ron, didn't you have an Old Missouri flat sheet?
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
ronsmall
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by ronsmall »

I have the one with Old Missouri Brewery Sales as the mandatory. I'm just wondering which was the real brewery that produced it.
Something tells me Bob L or ozarkridgerunner would know the answer, but perhaps they haven't logged on recently.
Bob L
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 121
BCCA Number: 25030
eBay name: bnglavelle
Zodiac:

Post by Bob L »

Ron, it's from one of the several incarnations of Manhattan Brewing in disguise (manhattan/prima/Westminster).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ozarkridgerunner
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 8053
eBay name: ozarkridgerunner
Year Started Collecting: 1973

Post by ozarkridgerunner »

Sorry took so long for me to post some info. I plowed through the records/files I have that came out of the Manhattan brewing co and came up with the following. Just as many questions as answers.

Background: Better Beverages Company were the "exclusive selling agents for the Westminster Brewing Company, who are affiliated with Manhattan." See the first pic of letter below dated Jan 31, 1938 with this info (paragraph 3). Despite BB CO close relations with Westminster, the second pic below of letter dated Aug 2, 1938 states "We have no previous knowledge of the fact that Westminster Brewing Company is no longer in existence" (last paragraph). This suggests the statement in the letter is feigned and/or the relationship between the two became more dubious over time. According to the History of Beer and Brewing in Chicago by Bob Skilnik, Westminster did cease operating in 1938 which seems to agree with the info in this letter and the date of cans with Westminster only Mandatory.

Evidently Manhattan liked affiliating the Westminster brands under the auspices of a different brewer since Prima Brewing Company was positioned as the Westminster "successor" given the "WESTMINSTER BREWING CO. PRIMA BREWING CO. SUCCESSORS" wording on English Lad and White Horse cans. Has anyone determined that Westminster and/or Prima had a Quart (and 12oz cone?) canning line and Manhattan did not? Certainly Manhattan had a bottling line, so was adding a Quart and 12oz cone line a big deal or was it just a marriage of convenience to let Westminster and Prima handle the cones? I think that assertion has been made before, but not aware of any proof. I'll keep any eye out for related info in my records along with a clear statement of Manhattan and Prima affiliation. The Manhattan Quart 214-17 says "BREWED AND FILLED BY PRIMA" ... "EXPRESSLY FOR MANHATTAN". The preponderance of quarts and 12oz cones with Westminster and Prima listed with no Manhattan mandatory suggest that Manhattan only canned the 12 flat tops including English Lad, White Horse, and Prima Gold Medal. I recently sold my Prima Ale 12oz that mentions Manhattan and Prima, not sure about the mandatory, but I believe it may have one similar to Manhattan Quart 214-17.

Old Missouri: Sorry not a lot of info on Old Missouri in the files/paperwork I have. I found nothing at all on "Old Missouri Brewery Sales". However, the Better Beverages letter to Manhattan in the third pic below dated Sep 27, 1937 discusses an order with Continental Can Company for "OLD MISSOURI beer", which does sound like USBC 216-03 since it does not mention "BRAND" like 216-04. This also suggests that Westminster used bigger/badder Manhattan to place their can orders with CCC, perhaps to get a better price given their scale?

Also, since this letter is dated 1937 when Westminster was in operation, it also suggests this info is regarding 216-03 since 216-04 only mentions "PRIMA BREWING CO" (unless there are variations out there I am not aware of). I have a rough version of 216-04, I am assuming it is from CCC, but not positive since those markings if they exist are obscured by rust on mine. If 216-04 is not CCC, then it is certain "Old Missouri" in this letter is referencing 216-03.

Not sure why 216-03 lists "OLD MISSOURI BREWERY SALES CO" instead of Westminster, my guess is Better Beverages thought "OLD MISSOURI SALES CO" sounded more compelling. Bob Skilnik's book also states Prima was AKA Old Missouri Sales Co., but I believe it is more accurate to associate with Westminster given these letters by BB CO, and I don't recall seeing Prima mentioned in the many files I have from BB CO.

Last letter dated Nov 13, 1937 shows how BB CO wanted Old Missouri priced (second to last paragraph).

I am sure there is more here than meets the eye but wanted to share what I know and am guessing. It definitely gets more interesting when you factor in the English Lad and White Horse brands, as well as Prima Gold Medal and Ale...
3Exlusive 01311938.JPG
4Closed 08021938.JPG
1Order 09271937.JPG
2Price 11131937.JPG
Last edited by ozarkridgerunner on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cheers, Paul King
http://www.manhattanbrewing.com
Can you define freedom? You can't. Because you don't know what freedom is until you loose it. From the book "Brothers in Battle", quote attributed to unknown Dutchman
ozarkridgerunner
Deceased
Deceased

As if there was ever any doubt, regarding English Lad 12oz flat, "Westminster Brewing Company lithographed on the cans, even though the can are actually packed for Westminster by the Manhattan Brewing Company" (third paragraph last sentence).
IMG_0788.JPG
Cheers, Paul King
Can you define freedom? You can't. Because you don't know what freedom is until you loose it. From the book "Brothers in Battle", quote attributed to unknown Dutchman
ronsmall
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by ronsmall »

Hi Paul,

Awesome info, thanks! It was fun reading through those letters. It would be a little alarming to find out the brewery you were expecting orders from (i.e. Westminster) no longer existed. It would be really neat to find a document that specifically addressed the Old Missouri Sales Co. name, in terms of why they went with it for just that one can. Many thanks, and +1 awarded.

Ron
bobbyboy
Flat Top
Flat Top
BCCA Number: 7614

Post by bobbyboy »

Amazing to see a slice of a time when people actually wrote letters. Gee, the world actually functioned just fine without legions of drones clacking away on computers and zombies walking out into traffic glued to their I(diot)Phone. A much gentler time albeit pre TV.

I am just not a fan of the rapid robotization that is (has) taken place. So much has been lost
ozarkridgerunner
Deceased
Deceased

Amen Bro
Cheers, Paul King
Tom Hoefer
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 18176
Year Started Collecting: 1975

Post by Tom Hoefer »

Wow, that's awesome stuff Paul. Thanks for posting.
I'm dumping Jax flats-- it's a gas gas gas!
keithker
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch President
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 969
BCCA Number: 11507
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by keithker »

So I always wondered about how Westminster cans ended up in the oddest of locations across America and then saw the letters above. I noted this one on another page and is likely the reason why Rosalie's showed up in Texas of all places.

Here is the page I got it from: http://home.comcast.net/~beerlabel/chic ... age841.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out the address.......
image580.jpg
Last edited by keithker on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Hoefer
Rust Master
Rust Master
BCCA Number: 18176

Post by Tom Hoefer »

Great stuff, Keithker, thanks for posting. Odd that they were sending brews to Tyler, TX, which was in a dry county. I guess a distributorship could be legal there even though you couldn't legally buy their products at retail in Tyler.
I'm dumping Jax flats-- it's a gas gas gas!
Longopener
RB Roster
RB Roster
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 417
BCCA Number: 29470
eBay name: Longopener
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: "Old Missouri Brewery Sales" mandatory on Old Missouri Q

Post by Longopener »

Wow! This is awesome documentation!!! Would be awesome if someone put a book about this sort of stuff together... (Sarcasm folks)
"Although the cans will be of no value after opened, their cost is expected to be small..." Iowa: June 22, 1935

Why drive 12 hour one way to dig Pre-Tax Tru Blu ales, Genny 12 Horse Longopeners, Gamecock Ales, Apollos, Neuweilers Bock, and Krueger’s Baldies when you can locally drive 10 hours round trip and dig Pfeiffer, Goebel, Drewrys and Strohs?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”