Gr 2 St Louis Black Dallas OI ?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Gr 2 St Louis Black Dallas OI ?

Post by Cap-Sealed »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/St-Louis-Black- ... true&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A grade 2 (humidity, rust, rims grinded down, and maybe some fade) St Louis Black Dallas on ebay doesn't sell because of it didn't meet the reserve. There were 56 bids but none of them were high enough. $4150 was the highest bid. Wow - I am kind of shocked it didn't sell for that amount. It is a sad time for most beer can collectors because of the sky-high prices. This is what makes digging for them so appealing.... And it's fun!

Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
Bob L
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 121
BCCA Number: 25030
eBay name: bnglavelle
Zodiac:

Re: Gr 2 St Louis Black Dallas OI ?

Post by Bob L »

I noticed that too. Considering the condition, I would have guessed $1500 would be a fair price for that can. But what do I know.

Bob
stlbeer
Flat Top
Flat Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
BCCA Number: 33148
Year Started Collecting: 2009

Post by stlbeer »

Well, considering I paid $4500 for the can 2 years ago, and have to pay the ebay fees if it sells, I didnt feel like $4500 was was unreasonable. The can looks very good on the shelf. What is the cost of an upgrade?
Bob S
oldmoneytexan
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 880
BCCA Number: 32879
eBay name: oldmoney_texan
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by oldmoneytexan »

That's crazy for off- grade. What's even crazier is when someone dumps this can now and thinks its a $ 1000 dumper.
steve36333
Rust Master
Rust Master

Post by steve36333 »

stlBeer - I think if you pay top dollar you would expect a loss if you decided to sell. I have seen norm meyer cans getting way less than he paid for them from dan morean. Or at least that is what he says has been the case.
I doubt very much that the can would have even went for 4150 had the reserve been lower. Once people catch on to the old "Chase the can" pricing method, they usually drive the price up knowing it wont hit the reserve.
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

Nearly half of those bids were me and one other guy talking, PMing, scratching our heads and trying to figure out what the reserve was. We quit before we hit $2000. Same thoughts occurred to us......that $2000 was too high for us considering the damage shown on the story panel......and the fact that you couldn't see the OI panel at all. Was a little surprised to see someone willing to go over $4000. Perhaps Steve is right and they had no intention of buying it......but if they do, I would try and track them down and see if they are still interested. Good Luck!
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
Sweeperman
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 918
BCCA Number: 12507
eBay name: sweeperman10
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sweeperman »

In your ebay description list your reserve price so all the games played can be removed. Someone may have bid 4,500 but got tired of bidding over and over just to be told the reserve was not met. Start the auction at 4,500 if thats what you want to sell it for. These reserve auctions have driven me crazy. I no longer even look at them.
sweeperman /// Collector of Kentucky cans....
chateaudebris
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 411
BCCA Number: 28176
eBay name: chateaudebris
Zodiac:

Post by chateaudebris »

oldmoneytexan wrote:That's crazy for off- grade. What's even crazier is when someone dumps this can now and thinks its a $ 1000 dumper.
Rand wrote:Nearly half of those bids were me and one other guy talking, PMing, scratching our heads and trying to figure out what the reserve was. We quit before we hit $2000. Same thoughts occurred to us......that $2000 was too high for us considering the damage shown on the story panel......and the fact that you couldn't see the OI panel at all. Was a little surprised to see someone willing to go over $4000. Perhaps Steve is right and they had no intention of buying it......but if they do, I would try and track them down and see if they are still interested. Good Luck!
:smt017 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,collect old cans for a fun "hobby"? Or Big business,,your driving the prices way up on your own?once a guy puts that kind of cash into an item?(empty beer can),it turns it into money,,no longer just a fun old can ,now it needs locked cases,alarms ,guards and a judge to sell it again or look at it???all these fun cans are being locked away as investments,,?I hope someone finds a train car full
till the next dump!
kruegerbock
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 775
BCCA Number: 10480
eBay name: kruegerbock
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kruegerbock »

It's real simple guys. Collect what you want. Bid as cheaply or as crazy high as you want. And don't worry about what somebody else collects (or bids, or how cheap or expensive they sell stuff for). It's why this country is great.
-Al Aprea
oldmoneytexan
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by oldmoneytexan »

chateaudebris wrote:
oldmoneytexan wrote:That's crazy for off- grade. What's even crazier is when someone dumps this can now and thinks its a $ 1000 dumper.
Rand wrote:Nearly half of those bids were me and one other guy talking, PMing, scratching our heads and trying to figure out what the reserve was. We quit before we hit $2000. Same thoughts occurred to us......that $2000 was too high for us considering the damage shown on the story panel......and the fact that you couldn't see the OI panel at all. Was a little surprised to see someone willing to go over $4000. Perhaps Steve is right and they had no intention of buying it......but if they do, I would try and track them down and see if they are still interested. Good Luck!
:smt017 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,collect old cans for a fun "hobby"? Or Big business,,your driving the prices way up on your own?once a guy puts that kind of cash into an item?(empty beer can),it turns it into money,,no longer just a fun old can ,now it needs locked cases,alarms ,guards and a judge to sell it again or look at it???all these fun cans are being locked away as investments,,?I hope someone finds a train car full
So when you "find" a can with little into it, you never take advantage of what the "rich guys" set the price at? So if you found 2 Rosalie's for $25 each at an antique mall, you would pass along your good fortune and sell one $30? Of course you would mark it up $5 for your time and gas, but if you are really upset about the "greed" and money in the hobby, you can't ask the "going price" or you're just as guilty as those you condemn for ruining the hobby.

Same goes for those who dump cans. It's hypocritical to blame others for driving up the price of cans, then turn around and ask big money for cans you have little in to.

This is the biggest complaint I have about so many in this hobby. They want prices low when they are buying cans, and gripe and moan about "greed in the hobby" and blame it on a few driving up prices. Then these same people ask ridiculous prices for their cans when they are selling.

Collect what you like, and like what you collect. Get the ego and inferiority complexes out of the hobby. Can this be fun or does jealously have to be a part of it?

That's my take. I'll hang up and listen. :smt025

Edward
oldmoneytexan
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by oldmoneytexan »

kruegerbock wrote:It's real simple guys. Collect what you want. Bid as cheaply or as crazy high as you want. And don't worry about what somebody else collects (or bids, or how cheap or expensive they sell stuff for). It's why this country is great.

Here here. Best post of this thread.
steve36333
Rust Master
Rust Master

Post by steve36333 »

I just see some knowledgeable people giving opinions. If Rand says the can is way too high, I take note as he is an expert on OI cans. This is how we learn.

I learned nothing from Kruegerbocks post.
chateaudebris
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by chateaudebris »

:smt015
Last edited by chateaudebris on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
till the next dump!
ozarkridgerunner
Deceased
Deceased
BCCA Number: 8053
eBay name: ozarkridgerunner
Year Started Collecting: 1973

Post by ozarkridgerunner »

Agree on grade 2. Fuzzy pics don't help (need to take can wrap off), red did not pop, so agree also on fade on front. Need pic of OI panel and bottom and accept returns for that price. I would second chance offer high/runner up bidder.
Last edited by ozarkridgerunner on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Paul King
http://www.manhattanbrewing.com
Can you define freedom? You can't. Because you don't know what freedom is until you loose it. From the book "Brothers in Battle", quote attributed to unknown Dutchman
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

I thought this ILsener would have gone more, but I guess the $850+ ending price was about right (to me.) I didn't need it, so I didn't bid. Not as nice as the Black Dallas, but equally rare. But what do I know about cans? I've only been collecting them for 40 years....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Rare-Ilsn ... true&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KMA_367
ED S
Calcans@aol.com
ozarkridgerunner
Deceased
Deceased

"Illlsnnner" - think homer simpson drooling... :grommit:
Cheers, Paul King
Can you define freedom? You can't. Because you don't know what freedom is until you loose it. From the book "Brothers in Battle", quote attributed to unknown Dutchman
kruegerbock
BCCA Committee Chair
BCCA Committee Chair
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 775
BCCA Number: 10480
eBay name: kruegerbock
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by kruegerbock »

steve36333 wrote:I just see some knowledgeable people giving opinions. If Rand says the can is way too high, I take note as he is an expert on OI cans. This is how we learn.

I learned nothing from Kruegerbocks post.
Oh, I have no problem with people asking questions about what and what not might be a reasonable price for a can. But some of the posts seemed to degrade into people bitching about others collecting habits. That is what I take issue with.
-Al Aprea
ozarkridgerunner
Deceased
Deceased

I paid $1100 for this one a few years back on ebay. It is the St Louis can (literally) with the black paint over the St Louis ABC stuff replaced with Chicago Manhattan. Has new lids, but color on this one pops.
bd.jpg
Cheers, Paul King
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

Technically the can did not sell too high, simply because it sold. If someone asks $1,000.00 For a Billy can and it does not sell, then it was too high.
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
chateaudebris
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by chateaudebris »

Cap-Sealed wrote:. But what do I know about cans? I've only been collecting them for 40 years...
As a 40yr collector I've seen a lot change in the "can"world also,I've shared in the aztec,golden west and 49er clubs,,,ive had 17 can shows w/ open house,,shared dumps,ect,,I've had cans stolen,and negitive on eway 10yrs ,,,,ive dug and given away more cans than most guys will ever see,I never priced my cans?I sold to silly offers?,,and I'm a bad guy here for speaking up,,its not my greed,jealousy, and high biids,,im here for the dumping stories,not the eBay wars,,thanks
Last edited by idigrust on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Quote Tag
till the next dump!
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

What I don't get, is why and how have can prices sky-rocketed? My first W'ville show in 1986, I saw 3 Class Book cans sell for $3000 for the group ($1K/each.) Pilsenbrau, Pilgrim Ale and something else. Now 30 years later, there are less collectors, but a minty Pilsenbrau now sells for $20,000. Meister Brau Fiesta Packs back then were $35-85 a can. Now they are fetching anywhere from $300-1200 a can. The supply and demand rule doesn't explain this, because there are less collectors and more cans have come out of the woodwork in the last 30+ years.
Last edited by Cap-Sealed on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KMA_367
ED S
Calcans@aol.com
CMD
Former Officer
Former Officer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 122
BCCA Number: 26172
eBay name: cactuscans
United States of America

Post by CMD »

Some of these post are like beating a dead horse.......you like to dig cans , Great! ...you like to buy cans , Super!....live and let live

Nobody was belittling those who buy cans, they just like to go dig their own

One can go fishing and catch their own fish or one can go to the fish market and buy their own fish

Nobody suggested that you have to do it their way

There's no right or wrong way to collect

Collect what you like

We all love beer cans

Life is good

out

Dan
Wanted Frederick's cone ,Balboa IRTP by Southern Finer, Flavor ale by Monarch, Little Imp, gold IRTP Finer Flavor by Southern, Lucky Lager OI Withdrawn free, white/gold Imperial from Maier, Tornbergs WF cone,Rainier OD cone,Niborg,Acme 3.2% on side panel, Malt Syrup tins or labels,Uncle Dan's Root beer signs ,I-7 openers needed....BALBOA,UNION, ROGER WILLIAMS ALE
I live rent free in his head!
Dan B
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser
BCCA Number: 2048
Year Started Collecting: 1971
United States of America

Post by Dan B »

I paid $1200.00 for this can off eBay. A bit faded, no top, but I own one.

Dan B
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406517336.762305.jpg
ozarkridgerunner
Deceased
Deceased

Cheers, Paul King
chateaudebris
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Zodiac:

Post by chateaudebris »

,,,,there is no proof that P.T.Barnum ever said "there's a sucker born ever minute,but he did say that"every crowd has a silverlining???
till the next dump!
ozarkridgerunner
Deceased
Deceased

like :)
Cheers, Paul King
baartz
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 991
BCCA Number: 22344
eBay name: NVchristian
Year Started Collecting: 1978
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by baartz »

I found 2 Manhattan Ale cans in 1982, both Grade 1. I sold one them for $650 in 1982 and sold the second one in 2002 for $2150, 3 times more. I don't have one in my collection now, because no can is worth over $1000 to me. I enjoy collecting "cheap" cans. Any can that becomes too valuable, I'm happy to sell. Anyway, that's my opinion, for what it's worth.
Brian Artzberger #22344
http://www.artzberger.com/BeerCans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Collector of 12 oz or smaller US cans
Servant of Jesus, John 3:16, 14:6
Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 485
BCCA Number: 23320
eBay name: michicander
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wheaton »

baartz wrote:I found 2 Manhattan Ale cans in 1982, both Grade 1. I sold one them for $650 in 1982 and sold the second one in 2002 for $2150, 3 times more. I don't have one in my collection now, because no can is worth over $1000 to me. I enjoy collecting "cheap" cans. Any can that becomes too valuable, I'm happy to sell. Anyway, that's my opinion, for what it's worth.
An oh, how sweet they were! The one you brought to Westminster way back when has stuck in my head for 30+ years!
JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION
We don't pay no stinkin' dues - we drink 'em!

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
cansnatcher
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
BCCA Number: 3380
eBay name: cansnatcher
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by cansnatcher »

Why are prices higher than they were before? Because there is more demand. How can there be more demand when there are fewer collectors? Because the collectors today have more money than the collectors 40 years ago. Demand doesn't just mean how many people want it. It means how much are those who are interested willing to pay.
What are the most common final words of a redneck? "Hold my beer...Watch this."
Rand
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 727
BCCA Number: 28177
Year Started Collecting: 1967
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Rand »

Back on the auction block.... Good luck.....I mean it! Would love to see this go for over $3400......it only increases the value of the rest of our collections! :-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/St-Louis-Black- ... 1497668672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rand "The Can't Man" Lindsly....Foot Soldier in the OI Wars....Honorably Discharged
"I'm a solipsist and, I have to say, I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
Acme. Genesee. - Feigenspan Uinta
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”