Crawl Space & Attic / not much

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

potters66
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 594
BCCA Number: 30854
eBay name: potters66
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Crawl Space & Attic / not much

Post by potters66 »

Last pictures if I load them right are stuff Mviggie brought over that he found in an old attic he was working in.
Other pictures are in a house that this area hasn't been visited in for a long time. At least there were Millers :smt022
Nothing much to look at but thought I would at least post it. Better then nothing!!
Steve
Attachments
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG

RUSTY BUNCH #594
Ironguts #5 / One Percenter
Tom Clark
Rust Master General
Rust Master General
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 48
BCCA Number: 17611
eBay name: milesclarkco
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Crawl Space & Attic / not much

Post by Tom Clark »

Southern Comfort, oh that stuff is nasty! The one and only time I drank that was in 1970, a buddy of mine and I drank a quart bottle of that warm, out of the bottle driving to a dance, we did have fun at the dance from what I remember and I have been told I had real fun afterwards but I can't remember. Felt horrible the next day!
plogan42
Cone Top
Cone Top

Post by plogan42 »

SoCo will put the hurt on ya.

Best to consume that in moderation, as with any whiskey.
iggyks
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1064
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by iggyks »

Janis dug it!
Joplin SC.png
Joplin SC.png (55.28 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
I'm constantly finding good cans... in my mailbox. *** My third year of waging Schlitzkrieg on the Flint Hills of Kansas ***
Beverlx
RB Treasurer
RB Treasurer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 677
BCCA Number: 18483
eBay name: beverlx
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Beverlx »

Those people were ready to party. Menke specializes in drinking up estate-sale liquor. He might be able to help you out with that.
Down in the Dumps
Cone Top
Cone Top
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1060
Year Started Collecting: 1968

Post by Down in the Dumps »

I like the bottle of disinfectant nestled neatly among the other goodies! That's a hoot!
mviggie
Deceased
Deceased
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 0

Post by mviggie »

nice stuff steve
WMassPete
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Year Started Collecting: 1996
United States of America

Post by WMassPete »

I listed 20 or so liquor bottles from the 1960s-80s (empty of course...and full-sized -those mini bottles are way to common) on Ebay and sold all but 2 or 3 - started them off at 10-20 bucks depending on how cool/iconic - (and to think how many Ive passed up in the past) -so - that is where Im seeing the cash in that crawl space......
stupid conspiracies are still stupid conspiracies even if 30 percent of the population believes them...
menke
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 406
BCCA Number: 23654
eBay name: www.onefullquart.com
Year Started Collecting: 1979
Australia

Post by menke »

Thanks for the props, Bill. I owe you one.

I can't see much, label-wise, but anyone who stores cheap liqueur with plastic screw caps on their side like a fine vintage is ripe for the picking... in picture #2, Bols spelled backward is sloB.

I'd pass on the Lord Calvert and the Southern Comfort, so long as I haven't been in the woods all summer. Don't bother with the kahlua.

Potential highlights... I bought a late 70's bottle of Grand Marnier (check the condition of the cork, forget it if the liquid level has dropped more than an inch or so unless you're Ironguts-qualified) and had the opportunity (a story for another day) to taste side by side with their modern 150th anniversary version that runs about $200 a bottle. the old/ordinary vintage kicked its ***, hands down.

That theme gets repeated over and over: distillers have seriously bailed on strong flavors over the last 30 years. Get something that's still adequately sealed and you'll get a distinct and unique blast from the past. I tend to buy sealed bottles unless it's a product I know well enough to sniff and trust that it's not kerosene.

Yes, some of it is worth money as Pete points out. I'd personally pay cash for Maker's Mark more than 5 years old. They changed their blend after the fiasco where they tried to drop the proof and got called out on it. It's a shadow of what it used to be, proof be damned. I want to do a side-by-side of new vs. old with some whisky experts and humiliate them into recreating their previous distinctive character. I'd have paid more for the old stuff, too, but I guess corporate greed always wins. The new product is feinty, soapy-tasting with a wider cut of the distillation there in the bottle with the good stuff. Gf has about four fingers of the old stuff left in a bottle her brother left stateside, and I have my eye on it... Not enough to share with strangers on such a quest, so I need more.

I'd pay big for any Lem Motlow, which is the 1-year old that Jack Daniel's sold up until about 1990. It was feisty and fruity, wonderful stuff. My dad has a bottle that I sadly persuaded him to crack open for a taste test in the early 90's, and we promptly sealed the cap on with wax. The JD collectors drive up the price on that, which is inane because they changed their blend about 8 years ago and now it's swill. If I collected that brand and had a palate at all, I'd drop it like a hot potato out of protest.

And the worst story... I spent half my earnings on a miserable dog-sitting job right after college on a bottle of Macallan 25, just before the price quintupled to its modern levels. I sipped the last of it this winter, nursing that bottle for 22 years. So I checked ebay to see if it had any value as a collectible with its' leather bound box and so on. I sold it for more than what I originally paid FULL. ###? I suspect it's bar owners filling the real bottles with lesser booze to milk profits from stupid rich people. What a world.
Better to drive 950 miles and kick asz than go a thousand miles and get nothing.
WMassPete
Grand Marshall of Rust
Grand Marshall of Rust
Year Started Collecting: 1996
United States of America

Post by WMassPete »

well - I sold mine empty - I noticed that brand new high-end stuff sells (empty bottles..once again) for quite a bit - so I figured retro stuff might go - I definitely had luck with Southern Comfort - Jack Daniels - Bacardi - all of those went close to 20 bucks - and mid 70s at oldest - I think its another case of "not much supply" - as most people would just toss these - whenever I list stuff on Ebay - I try to put up stuff that most people wouldn't even bother with - and - that has worked better than selling popular collectibles - of course - its all a matter of listing a ton of things and seeing what sticks (and then relisting over and over - every time there are free listings) - old junk mail sells really well too...
stupid conspiracies are still stupid conspiracies even if 30 percent of the population believes them...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”