Online can shows Can it be bigger?

Discussion issues on Beer Cans,, Breweriana, Attended Shows etc...

Moderators: Forum Moderator, Current Officers, Previous Officers

jwcans
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Answers: 0
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 833
BCCA Number: 28744
Year Started Collecting: 1971
Zodiac:
Argentina

Online can shows Can it be bigger?

Post by jwcans »

I really enjoy the online Can shows we have here on the site. I mean I still love a really get out and go to a show experience. However since probably 50% or greater of sales are done online these days. Maybe we could get a bigger chunk of that business here. I was thinking that since we are the redirect page from the BCCA forum. Does the RB have funds enough to purchase an advertisement in the BCCA magazine. An ad featuring one of the upcoming online shows, or mentioning all the online shows. Could generate a lot of new traffic, and new cans / Breweriana for sale on the site. An attempt to bring in more collectors into the fold as it were.
I have also been thinking it might be a good idea for those of us who sell on the Evil Ebay. To mention the RB at the end of their listings. I know in the past I was able to list my website in my listing without any hassle from Ebay.
Of course, we would need Danny's approval first. I am uncertain of the site's capacity limitations, if there are any anymore?

Just some thoughts that I'd like some feedback on

Flat_Top
Rust Governor
Rust Governor
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 721
BCCA Number: 15216
eBay name: beer-1
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Re: Online can shows Can it be bigger?

Post by Flat_Top »

One consistent thing I notice when I mention the Rusty Bunch to people at shows is their preconception based on the name. They think the Rusty Bunch is all about dumping and rusty cans. They have know idea that the Rusty Bunch is the best place for beer can, breweriana, soda cans, etc. info. I'm in no way suggesting a name change. Just maybe some advertising in the BCCA magazine to promote this site and the benefits, shows, knowledge, advertising section, we have to offer.
Chuck
Michigan Cans wanted
Sell your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island!
Sea Monkey
RB Raffle Coordinator
RB Raffle Coordinator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 958
BCCA Number: 33638
eBay name: Pollywoggray
Year Started Collecting: 1976
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Sea Monkey »

You have to be a member to go to the online shows. It does not allow "walk ins" so to speak. Advertising may bump up membership though......
Scott Gray
BCCA# 33638 / RB# 958 / Qwarts-R-Us #8 / Iron Guts #6
Wheaton
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 485
BCCA Number: 23320
eBay name: michicander
Year Started Collecting: 1973
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Wheaton »

Chuck has a valid observation about the Chapter name, but I'll admit I'm a little surprised by some of the folks I've met who do lurk on this board. I seem to bump into collectors at nearly every smaller show I go to who are not RB affiliated but that do spend time snooping around in here, and they include breweriana collectors as well as shine-only types. It's all beer stuff, it's all good, and I feel like we've broadened our reach without ever realizing how much. At the same time, Dan would be the guy who knows what the limitations are and how big an online show could realistically get. He already heads up the giveaways and doubles as Igor. He's going to wind up needing a staff before long just to help him pull levers, stock the dry ice steamers and run the laser show...
JOIN THE IRONGUTS UNION
We don't pay no stinkin' dues - we drink 'em!

D. L. Wheaton, President
I.G.U. Local 1
Holland, Michigan

Endorsing all products from the Burnin' Rubber Brewing Company, particularly Old Finland Seabottom Over-Ripe Sulfuric Goat Cheese IPA. A Scandinavian favorite since 1840.
Gunther
Rust Master
Rust Master
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 1112
BCCA Number: 27964
eBay name: us-conetops
Year Started Collecting: 1975
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Gunther »

I agree with Chuck as well with regard to his comments about how some collectors perceive the name "Rusty Bunch".

I'm one of those "Breweriana & Shine-Only Type" of Collectors that has never had any personal interest in outdoor can-dumping or collecting "off-grade" beer cans.

When I heard "Rusty Bunch", my first impression was that it was a group of beer can collectors that prized "Rust-First" and that Rusty Bunch Chapter Members built their beer can collections through the efforts of outdoor can dumping and through the efforts of buying/selling and the trading of "off-grade" cans/dumpers exclusively.

A number of years ago, I was placing a Collector Want Ad on the BCCA Corporate Website and while reviewing some of the hyperlinks that were attached to the BCCA website, I clicked on the hyperlink to the Rusty Bunch Forum out of curiosity more than anything else.

As I stated, for decades my impression was that the Rusty Bunch Chapter was a "Rust-First" group of beer can collectors.

I formally signed up as a member of the Rusty Bunch Forum back in 2010 and then later the Rusty Bunch BCCA Chapter, but before doing so, I spent at least a year or two lurking on the Rusty Bunch Forum just reading posts etc and here was some of the things that I learned during that period of "lurking":

1. A number of my friends that I've known for decades who are also "Shine-Only Beer Can Collectors" happened to also be Rusty Bunch Forum and/or Rusty Bunch Chapter Members.

2 With regard to the Wanted/For Sale Advertising Section of the Rusty Bunch Forum, "Shine-Only Collectors" have a completely different definition and expectation of what some Forum Members that collect "Off-Grade Beer Cans" describe as a "Clean Condition" Beer Can.

This of course brings me to my next point which is the following; in my opinion, the Wanted/For Sale Section of the Rusty Bunch Forum is the greatest undervalued and under utilized asset of the Rusty Bunch Chapter.

I know nothing of the logistics that are involved in setting up an online Forum or Website, but if there was some way that the Wanted/For Sale Section of the Rusty Bunch Forum could be better formatted in a way that sort of mirrors some of the other Classified Section's of other successful online Forums, there may be greater utilization of this Forum Section and enhanced value in becoming a Rusty Bunch Forum/Chapter Member.

I do have some thoughts for this section of the Rusty Bunch Forum, however I'll reserve those thoughts for now because I also realize that operating a successful online forum such as The Rusty Bunch Forum requires a lot of work that's often done by just a few folks and regretfully I'm not a website administrator or a programmer so with that said, some of my "thoughts" for the Advertising Section may be just wishful thinking.
Pete Raimondi
Forest Hill, Maryland
BCCA: 27964
ECBA: 2140
Collector of Grade A1+ or Better Condition 12 Ounce U.S. Beer Cans: Flats, Cones, Crowntainers & Rare Zip/Tab Top Cans
Advanced Collector of Baltimore, Maryland Brewery Advertising & Breweriana - Preprohibition through 1959
Baltimore Breweries: National, Gunther, Free-State, American, Globe/Arrow, J.F. Wiessner's, Bauernschmidt Brewery, etc.
Randy Karasek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 636
BCCA Number: 0
Year Started Collecting: 1974
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Randy Karasek »

Just my opinion, but this hobby is actually quite small, and the shows I have attended the past two years I haven't heard any confusion about the Rusty Bunch being just for digging rusty cans. There has been a large mix of rust vs shine vs mixed collections posted here, much information regarding cans/items that has nothing to do with the condition of the items, composite listings, general questions, brewery questions, and auction and wanted sections that can be used to post anything appropriate related to the hobby.

Plus, with the BCCA website linking to here, if a collector had any inclination on posting anything, seems like they would already be redirected here. As for changing chapter name, I would very much NOT want to see this happen, unless maybe the name "BCCA" is no longer taken? Does that chapter still exist? :shock:

As for online can shows, I have not attended one, but sure seems if the site/Dan have the capacity to support more people without adding more requirements to Dan's plate, sure seems like a good idea.
Beverlx
RB Treasurer
RB Treasurer
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 677
BCCA Number: 18483
eBay name: beverlx
Year Started Collecting: 1977
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Beverlx »

jwcans wrote:I really enjoy the online Can shows we have here on the site. I mean I still love a really get out and go to a show experience. However since probably 50% or greater of sales are done online these days. Maybe we could get a bigger chunk of that business here. I was thinking that since we are the redirect page from the BCCA forum. Does the RB have funds enough to purchase an advertisement in the BCCA magazine. An ad featuring one of the upcoming online shows, or mentioning all the online shows. Could generate a lot of new traffic, and new cans / Breweriana for sale on the site. An attempt to bring in more collectors into the fold as it were.
I have also been thinking it might be a good idea for those of us who sell on the Evil Ebay. To mention the RB at the end of their listings. I know in the past I was able to list my website in my listing without any hassle from Ebay.
Of course, we would need Danny's approval first. I am uncertain of the site's capacity limitations, if there are any anymore?

Just some thoughts that I'd like some feedback on

Hi, JW. I'm at work and can't be specific about dates, but we definitely can afford it. We have bought a couple of ads in the last couple years at the BCCA magazine. This has contributed to our growth.

The email blast that BCCA will now send out on a chapter's behalf brought us a whole bunch of new members when we did it for the holiday show in December. We will use it again come the June anniversary show.
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Website Administrator
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

Gunther wrote:
I know nothing of the logistics that are involved in setting up an online Forum or Website, but if there was some way that the Wanted/For Sale Section of the Rusty Bunch Forum could be better formatted in a way that sort of mirrors some of the other Classified Section's of other successful online Forums, there may be greater utilization of this Forum Section and enhanced value in becoming a Rusty Bunch Forum/Chapter Member.

I do have some thoughts for this section of the Rusty Bunch Forum, however I'll reserve those thoughts for now because I also realize that operating a successful online forum such as The Rusty Bunch Forum requires a lot of work that's often done by just a few folks and regretfully I'm not a website administrator or a programmer so with that said, some of my "thoughts" for the Advertising Section may be just wishful thinking.
Post some links to other sites so I can see what they do. Also, YOUR thoughts are always welcome. It may ake some time to implement them, or maybe they can't work, but I always listen to the membership.
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
Cap-Sealed
Overlord of Rust
Overlord of Rust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 101
BCCA Number: 28462
eBay name: Cap-Sealed
Year Started Collecting: 1972
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Cap-Sealed »

I've missed the last few online shows because they are usually all on weekends.... how about a mid-week show? Ive done really well picking up new cans for the shelf at the online shows as well as selling items even days after the show!
Facebook: Roadrunner Chapter of the BCCA
KMA_367
ED S
RB #101 Keeping the Rusty Bunch RUSTY since 1985!
Always Going For Unobtainium!
Calcans@aol.com
idigrust
Rusty Bunch Member Number: 258
BCCA Number: 27235
eBay name: twinb2
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by idigrust »

Cap-Sealed wrote:I've missed the last few online shows because they are usually all on weekends.... how about a mid-week show? Ive done really well picking up new cans for the shelf at the online shows as well as selling items even days after the show!
You're in luck, the next show is Wednesday, June 18th.
Dan Bora - RB Webmaster
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”